Choose county:  
inventory resourceGarfield County's Oil &
Gas Division

serves as the liaison between the citizens, county government, Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), Federal and State natural resources agencies and the oil and gas industry. The county does not regulate oil and gas drilling, but does serve as the local government designee to the State Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC), which issues drilling permits. If you are a citizen of Garfield County, and you have questions or concerns about oil and gas operations, please feel free to contact us at 970-625-5905.

Community Counts Colorado
Natural gas industry hotline 1-866-442-9034

Oil and Gas Health Information
and Response Program

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment

inventory resourceEnergy Resource Inventory
Garfield County has received the completed Phase I Energy Resource Inventory from TRC Solutions. The Garfield County commissioners will 'test drive' this inventory before considering the design for a Phase II, currently envisioned as a policy development exercise to guide future land use decisions.
Energy Master Plan-|

Energy Advisory Board Citizen Representative opportunity
Interested in energy issues? The Garfield County Energy Advisory Board is requesting letters of interest from applicants who are interested in serving as a volunteer citizen representative.
board openings-|
Mamm Creek gas well


what's new


Energy Advisory Board
The Garfield County Board of County Commissioners formed the Garfield County Energy Advisory Board (EAB) in 2004. Its mission is to provide a forum for the oil and gas industry, the public, impacted landowners and local government to prevent or minimize conflict associated with oil and gas development through positive and proactive communication and actions that encourage responsible and balanced development of these resources within Garfield County.

The EAB investigates citizen complaints, and works with energy companies to facilitate solutions. If we cannot reach a resolution, we may contact the COGCC or other regulatory authorities. Our Oil and Gas Liaison is also responsible for making reports to the Board of County Commissioners, and coordinates with the BLM and other agencies on energy-related issues.

The EAB is currently seeking citizen representatives. Citizen representatives on the EAB are available to hear comments and complaints from residents in their areas. For more information about the EAB, and a map of citizen representation areas and contacts, click here.

The EAB meets the first Thursday of each month at 6 pm in Rifle.

Oil & gas permitting:
Although Garfield County does not regulate drilling directly, some of our regulations do affect the energy industry. For example, oversized vehicles are subject to permits from the Road & Bridge Department and certain facilities must obtain land use and building permit approvals from the Garfield County Community Development Department. Please contact these departments with any specific questions.

Energy operators:
We are often contacted by people wanting to know what companies operate in Garfield County. Our office is not charged with the responsibility of assisting businesses with marketing, but visitors to our website who want to find out what companies are operating here are encouraged to check the information in Emergency Contacts and Related Links. The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission registers oil and gas operators throughout the state. Their website is:

Oil and Gas Division
195 West 14th Street, Building D
Rifle, CO 81650

Kirby Wynn
Oil & Gas Liaison
970-625-5905 | phone
Email Kirby


background photo | © Ryan Mackley
privacy policy