Garfield County can only issue death certificates for deaths that occurred in Garfield County, Rio Blanco County, or Pitkin County. All other death certificate requests must be directed to the county in which the death occurred.
Death certificate certified copies may be issued to:
• Grandparents (proof of relationship required)
• Stepparents (proof of marriage)
• Siblings (with proof of relationship)
• Spouse (listed on death certificate or marriage license)
• Adult children or grandchildren of the registrant (must how lineage such as birth certificate, marriage license)
• Stepchildren (show proof of the fact of relationship)
• Legal guardian (court papers, power of attorney)
• Genealogists representing family members with appropriate credentials and proof of death, release (must show relationship)
• Attorneys and others who may demonstrate a direct and tangible interest when information is needed for determination of protection of a personal or property right.
Acceptable identification - Colorado birth and death certificate documentation
August 1, fees increase to $20 for the first copy, and $13 for each additional copy. Colorado Dept of Public Health and Environment press release
We accept Visa, Mastercard and American Express, and Discover credit cards over the phone or in the office. (Credit card payments require an additional 2.7% processing fee.)
If you are out of state, we must have a money order, certified check or credit card payment before we can process the order.
Death certificate form
Death certificate form - Spanish
For additional information, please call 970-384-3700, to contact Garfield County Clerk/Registrar Jean Alberico or the Deputy Registrar.